On the 24th October more than 200 local business people attended the official launch of Design Brighton, a new festival celebrating the city’s urban environment arriving on 16-19 October 2019 formed by partnership of Stickland Wright architects & interiors and the Cowell Consulting Group.
Attendees were treated to a flight on the BAi360 for a stunning view of Brighton’s architectural landscape by sunset.
Among the many big reveals of the evening, the Brighton Dome Corn Exchange was named as the hub conference, networking and exhibition centre and it was announced that the programme for the festival will focus on the city’s great designs of the past, present and future.
The festival will also include a series of satellite events across the region, including:
- A celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Marina, hosted by the original architect.
- Round table discussions with Planners and Designers on Council identified sites.
- Panel discussions.
- Engagement with schools, colleges and universities.
- A trail of open studios and workshop tours to ‘meet the makers’
- Installations from lighting engineers, makers and designers.
- A photography competition to visually highlight the city’s exceptional urban design
- Hard hat tours of developments in progress
- Hack-a-thons engaging the next generation of urban designers
A limited-edition Augmented Reality drinks coaster, produced by LCE Architects and Mnemoscene, was revealed as a sponsorship opportunity for the festival, which will fill Brighton’s eateries and watering holes with a collectable marketing concept showcasing key developments and architecture in the city.
After the i360 and intro the attendees were invited to share their ideas on events they wanted to see the festival deliver. Among were suggestions such as:
- Talks on how to protect the high streets from the shift in retail
- Street art light sculptures
- Large scale conferences for creatives
- Design comps for students and local practices
- Amphitheatres bring brought to the region
- Open studios
- Seating Design Charrette
- Design Maps…….And much much more.
All ideas will be pulled together by our steering group to help form our 2019 programme of events.
Thank you to all who attended and took part in our launch. We are looking forward to bringing you more news and events via our new website and monthly newsletters.